- About us
- School information and forms
HISTORY AND TRADITION.
St. Louis Convent School was founded by the Sisters of St. Louis, whose aim was to provide Christian education in a changing world. It opened on the 1st of September 1913, in "Charleville" , originally the residence of Sir John Grey, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
From the Convent House, the school expanded in 1929 with the purchase of a nearby property, 8 Grosvenor Road, and in 1942 the property next door at 7 Grosvenor Road was acquired. A concert hall wing and twelve classrooms were added in 1950. In 1965 - 1966 a Gym and six new classrooms were added on to the School and a new Convent Chapel was opened.
The introduction of the Free Education Scheme in summer 1967 led to rapid expansion of enrolments. A new school was built which was opened in 1982.
1982 also marked the drafting and development of the Ten-Year Plan based on the vision of the Ideal School. The Staff Advisory Council emerged also in this context. With the establishment of a Board of Management in 1987, a new partnership between trustees, staff members, parents and students was put in place.
During the academic year 2013-2014 the school celebrated its Centenary with numerous memorable events. Please take time to read the Centenary Celebrations page for an overview of all the events.
The Le Chéile Trust.
The Le Chéile Trust is a collaborative trust set up initially by twelve and now fourteen congregations, one of whom is the St Louis order.
The Trust works to promote the mission in different school types. It carries out the legal, financial and inspirational work of the Patron. It has a special care for the spiritual dimension of the school, and for the faith formation. Its mission is:
"To promote Catholic education as an option within the Irish education system. To develop the schools of the congregations in the service of their local communities, the state and the church"
To read more about the Le Cheile Trust, visit their website www.lecheiletrust.ie