- About us
- School information and forms
The ST.Louis School Crest
BLUE FIELD: Represents the Kings of France. St. Louis was King Louis IX of France 1214 – 1270.
DIEU LE VEULT (old French): The rallying cry of the Crusaders – ‘God Wills it’. St. Louis went on two Crusades to the Holy Land in 1242 in thanksgiving for his recovery from a serious illness.
In 1270 he went to Tunis, where he hoped to make Christ known to the Moslems. He became ill and died there. His body was brought back to France and his heart was buried in the Benedictine Monastery at Palermo.
St. Louis is the Patron Saint of the Congregation of St. Louis.
FLEUR DE LYS: Symbol of the Kings of France. It represents the country of origin of the Sisters of St. Louis.
THE TOWER: The tower with a red hand is part of the Monaghan Coat of Arms. Monaghan was the town in Ireland to which the first Sisters came from France on 6th January 1859.
CROWN OF THORNS AND SWORD: These relate to St. Louis bringing Christ’s Crown of Thorns to France for safety. It had been saved during the First Crusade.
THE GOLDEN CHAIN: The chain symbolises the bond of Christian Charity which unites all the members of the Congregation together and which also links them to those with whom they carry out their ministries in schools, colleges, hospitals and parishes. It is echoed in the second motto 'Ut sint unum' (that they may be one) while the Primary motto 'Dieu le Veult' inspires acceptance of the ups and downs of life that we meet with every day in carrying out our work for God.
CHARLEVILLE ROAD, RATHMINES, DUBLIN 6. TEL: 497 5458 FAX: 497 3728 E-MAIL: email@example.com
BÓTHAR RÁTH LUIRC , RÁTH MAONAIS, BAILE ÁTHA CLIATH 6. FÓN: 497 5458 FAICS: 497 3728